Welcome to the NABET 700-M UNIFOR Website!

NABET 700-M UNIFOR represents over 3000 Film, Television and New Media Technicians in the province of Ontario.

100 Lombard Street
Suite 303
Toronto, ON
M5C 1M3
Tel: 416-536-4827
Toll-free: 1-888-428-0362
Fax: 416-536-0859


April 6, 2020

COVID-19 Available Resources Update - April 3, 2020

Dear Members,

Please see the following resource updates with regard to financial and other support systems available to you. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact the office at info@nabet700.com.



The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) covers Canadians who have lost their job, are sick, quarantined, or taking care of someone who is sick with COVID-19, as well as working parents who must stay home without pay to care for children who are sick or at home because of school and daycare closures. The CERB applies to wage earners, as well as contract workers and self-employed individuals who would not otherwise be eligible for Employment Insurance (EI). Please refer to the "Eligibility" section below for more information.

Additionally, workers who are still employed, but are not receiving income because of disruptions to their work situation due to COVID-19 also qualify for the CERB.

All Canadians who have ceased working due to COVID-19, whether they are EI-eligible or not, are able to receive the CERB to ensure they have timely access to the income support they need.

The Federal Government will start accepting CERB applications April 6.

-Workers that lose their job due to COVID-19
-Workers who are sick, quarantined or taking care of someone sick with COVID-19
-Working parents that must stay home without pay to care for children that are sick or need care due to school or daycare closures
-Wage-earners or self-employed individuals, including contract workers that would not otherwise be eligible for Employment Insurance (EI)
-Workers that are still employed but are not being paid because of disruptions to their workplace due to COVID-19
-A resident of Canada in the above-noted circumstances, fifteen (15) years of age or older- not receiving any income from employment or self-employment and for 2019 or in the previous twelve (12) months period preceding the day they submit an application, and has total income of at least $5,000 from their employment, will be eligible to apply for CERB

-CERB will provide $2,000 per month for up to sixteen (16) weeks
-The New CERB benefit will be accessible through a secure web portal, via an automated telephone line or via a toll-free number starting in early April
-Eligible applicants can expect payments within ten (10) days of the date of the application
-Payments will be issued every four (4) weeks and will be available from March 15, 2020, up to October 3, 2020 with a maximum payment period of sixteen (16) weeks within this time

How to Apply:

Whether you apply online or by phone, to help manage the application process, the CRA has set up specific days for you to apply that's based on your birth month.

Please use the following guidelines.

Birth Months: January, February or March
Apply on: Mondays
Best date to apply: April 6, 2020

Birth Months: April, May, or June
Apply on: Tuesdays
Best date to apply: April 7, 2020

Birth Months: July, August, or September
Apply on: Wednesdays
Best date to apply: April 8, 2020

Birth Months: October, November, or December
Apply on: Thursdays
Best date to apply: April 9, 2020

***Any month of birth can apply on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays***

Important to note:

-Eligible workers may receive CERB or EI but not both at the same time
-Eligible workers receiving EI on March 25, 2020 will continue to receive EI and should not apply for CERB. If EI runs out before October 3, 2020 and you are still unable to return to work due to COVID-19, eligible workers may then apply for CERB
-Workers that have applied for EI and are in process do not need to apply for CERB Workers that are eligible for EI benefits and apply for CERB first, would still be able to apply for EI if unemployed or unable to work due to illness after the sixteen (16) week period covered by CERB

My Service Canada Account:

It is important that if you have not already registered for a My Service Canada Account at Canada.ca that you do so ASAP to avoid delays in applying for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).

For more information on how you can get ready to apply for the CERB through the Canada Revenue Agency please click here.


To qualify for EI benefits, you need to have lost employment through no fault of your own. That means if you quit, were terminated with cause or are on strike, you cannot get EI. The benefits you receive depend on where you live, how much you've worked in the last year and the unemployment rate in your area.

We have put together a rough overview of the steps to follow when applying for regular Employment Benefits, this does not include specific instructions for situations that detour from the standard application situation, and is only meant as a guide to help you navigate the process, and can be found here.

More information about Regular EI eligibility and how to apply can be found at Canada.ca.

If you have any questions regarding your Record of Employment (ROE), please contact the production payroll companies directly and ensure you provide them with the following details; your full name, last three digits of your SIN, information on what production you are requesting.

Cast & Crew:

Entertainment Partners (EP):


To qualify for EI sickness benefits, you need to show that: you can't work for medical reasons, your income has dropped by more than 40% for at least a week and you have built up 600 hours of insured hours in the last year or since your last claim (whichever is shorter).

In relation to the COVID-19 virus, the government has stated that those who are unable to work because they have been directed to self-isolate or quarantined will not have to wait the usual one week to receive EI sickness benefits.

Additionally, the sickness benefits can be accessed without the usual requirement of a doctor's note or other medical certificate. More information about applying for EI sickness benefits is available on our government's website.

4. AFC

The AFC provides financial and other compassionate support to those who work in the Canadian entertainment industry when an unforeseen emergency, such as this pandemic, causes urgent financial need. They offer confidential, short-term, charitable assistance with basic living and medical needs that cannot be otherwise met as well as other social services.

If you are in need of financial, or other avenues of support, please contact the AFC. They will connect with you to find out more about your situation and advise on how they can best assist you.

For information on how to apply, please visit the COVID-19 Guide to Emergency Financial Assistance.


The Union recognizes that this is an extremely stressful time for everyone and that during these times we need to take care of each other and ourselves. Please find various resources below that are accessible to you and your loved ones, should you need additional support during this difficult time.


The NABET 700-M UNIFOR Employee Assistance Program (EAP) managed by Lifeworks, and provided to only those enrolled in the benefits program, is a confidential and voluntary counselling support service that provides you with the help you need to resolve a wide range of personal, work-related, health and life issues. During this time, we would like to open up access to all Members, whether you are enrolled in the benefits plan or not.

If you require further support during this tumultuous time, these immediate and confidential EAP services are accessible 24/7/365:

1-877-207-8833 or visit login.lifeworks.com. The website features additional information and tips on coping with trauma. Please find the Lifeworks Login on your email.

The Ontario Government announced on April 2, 2020 that in an effort to improve access for those in need, the province will be providing emergency funding of up to $12 million to immediately expand online and virtual mental health supports. The specifics around the resources which funding will be going towards can be found on the province of Ontario website.

UNIFOR National has put together an extensive list of numerous resources that they will continue to be updating, to help bring awareness and make services accessible for those in need or those who would like to better support their loved ones during this time.

If you have questions or concerns specifically about COVID-19 please contact the Public Health Hotline below.

Coronavirus Hotline:
Information about Coronavirus
Infection Prevention and Control Canada COVID-19 Information

Thank You

more News